The Greater Johnstown School District will use this web page to share information and resources regarding the COVID pandemic as the circumstances warrant.
Any time-sensitive, critical information will be shared via the district’s School Messenger notification system, which can send e-mails, text messages and phone calls.
- All GJSD schools will be closed through April 15, 2020
- We are closely monitoring the situation at the state and local levels and will let you know if that closure needs to be extended.
- All school-related programs and activities are cancelled until further notice.
- While our schools are closed, our playgrounds will also be closed for use by our families and community.
- NYSED has suspended NYS Assessments for Grades 3-8 for the remainder of the school year.
School District Updates
- Message to Parents: Join Google Classroom
- Letter from the Superintendent March 27, 2020
- Email message to GJSD Families March 26, 2020
- Child Care for Essential Workers
- Technology Access Survey
- Tech Help and Educational Resources for GJSD Students
- Grab & Go Meals Available for Children
- Message from the Special Education Department
- COVID-19 Update: GJSD Classes cancelled March 16-31
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
- Letter from the Superintendent March 15, 2020
- Letter from the Superintendent March 13, 2020
- Letter from the Superintendent March 10, 2020
- Letter from the Superintendent February 10, 2020
Grab & Go Meals Available for Children
The Johnstown School District will be providing grab-and-go breakfast and lunch weekdays starting on Tuesday, March 17. All children age 18 and under can pick up meals during the hours of 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at the main entrance of the high school. Families can drive around the front loop at the high school to reach the meal distribution area. Please notify a staff member at the distribution area about any food allergies.
Home Learning for Students and Families
We are committed to providing educational engagement for our students during this extended school closure, but it is important to acknowledge that there are practical limits to instructional program continuity. Instead, our goal is to share a variety of resources for parent-guided and self-guided learning for students.
GJSD Online Learning Resources
Online resources are available to students and families for access throughout the COVID-19 closure. These resources can be accessed through ClassLink, the District’s app dashboard.
See the links below for help accessing online resources:
GJSD Paper Packets
If your child does not have access to a computer and Internet at home, paper packets are available. Packets may be picked up at the Johnstown High School Auditorium Entrance (JPAC) weekdays between 10:30AM and 12:00PM Friday, March 20 – Friday, March 27.
GJSD Tech Assistance for Students
Please note that tech support is limited while students are home, but the District can provide password support and resets as needed. See links under the “Learning Resources” section above for IT request information.
Spectrum is offering free Internet access to households that have students sent home due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Call 844-488-8395 for more information.
WMHT Public Media Educational Programming Block
WMHT is offering an educational programming block and online resources targeted at students’ pre-k through 12. For the complete programming schedule, related resources, and additional home learning opportunities, visit wmht.org/homeclassroom.
Special Education Services During Closure
In light of the school closings and rapidly evolving COVID-19 crisis, the GJSD Special Education Department is dedicated to providing students with as much support as we can. At this time, all scheduled CSE meetings are continuing to run as scheduled. Meetings are taking place at the High School Special Education office. However, you do not need to be physically present to participate in these meetings. Access has also been provided to video and phone conferencing. Families and community members should check their emails and phone messages for information on the link to participate via these platforms.
We encourage all families to work with students at home by utilizing the information provided by classroom teachers through instructional resource packets and/or online instructional resources. IEP service providers will be reaching out to families for OT, PT, Speech, and Counseling to check in on students and provide weekly support and guidance as well.
Throughout this time, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 518-736-1708 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Childcare for Essential Workers and First Responders
In accordance with state guidance related to the COVID-19 response effort, GJSD is working with local child care providers to support essential personnel in our community.
If you hold one of these occupations and you need or will need childcare services, please complete this childcare for essential employees survey as soon as possible.
If you have any questions please contact Cory Cotter at 518-762-4611 or email@example.com
World Health Organization
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDC About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Frequently Asked Questions – Prevention
- CDC Prevention, Treatment of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC Coronavirus 2019 Information for Travel
- CDC Share Facts About COVID-19
- CDC Videos
- CDC Video Fight Germs. Wash Your Hands!
NYS Department of Health
Call NYSDOH hotline at 1-888-364-3065 for more information about Coronavirus
- NYS Health Department – Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Governor Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
Fulton County Department of Health
Contact the Fulton County Department of Health:
County Services Complex
2714 State Highway 29
Johnstown, NY 12095
Phone: (518) 736-5720
- Website: https://www.fultoncountyny.gov/public-health
- Fulton County Department of Health Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) https://www.fultoncountyny.gov/covid-19
Talking to Children about the Coronavirus
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource
(National Association of School Psychologists)
- Talking to Kids about the Coronavirus
(Child Mind Institute)
- Just For Kids: A Comic Exploring The New Coronavirus
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus
Social and Emotional Resources
Need support from your school counselor during this time?
Please call 518-762-1708 and leave a detailed message. We will be sure that your call is returned by your counselor or your child’s counselor as soon as possible!
Family Counseling Center Warm Line
Phone number 518-725-4310, ext. 333
Hours of operation 8:00 am – 8:00 pm Monday through Friday and Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
It’s staffed by licensed Family Peer Advocates to support people dealing with anxiety and other issues related to COVID – 19 and being isolated.
NYS COVID-19 Emotional Support Helpline
8 AM – 10 PM, 7 days a week