Asbestos Management Plan
The Greater Johnstown School District submitted its Asbestos management Plan to the New York State Education Department in 1989. In accordance with the EPA Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of 1987 (40 CFR Part 763), this memo is intended to fulfill annual notification that management plans for this district are on file and can be viewed between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. For more information, please contact the GJSD Director of Facilities and Operations at (518) 762-4611.
Dignity for All Students Act
New York State’s Dignity for All Students Act (“DASA”) was signed into law on September 13, 2010 and took effect on July 1, 2012. Per the New York State Department of Education, the act “seeks to provide the State’s public elementary and secondary school students with a safe and supportive environment free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment and bullying on school property, a school bus and/or at a school function.”
While the Johnstown School District has several policies in place prohibiting harassment and discrimination, the Board of Education has taken the additional step of adopting Policy #7553 – Dignity for All Students Act.
Beyond adopting a DASA policy, the Board of Education has also appointed Dignity Act Coordinators in each of our school buildings. These are individuals who have received special training in methods to respond to human relations in the areas of race, color, weight, national origin, ethnic group, religion, religious practice, disability, sexual orientation, gender and sex.
The Johnstown School District’s duly appointed Dignity Act Coordinators for the 2019-2020 school year are as follows:
- Glebe Street Elementary School – Deborah Ruggeri (762-8316)
- Pleasant Avenue Elementary School – Cory Cotter (762-8216) and Stephanie DiVisconti (762-8216)
- Warren Street Elementary School – Kathy Salls (762-3715) and Nicole Lent (762-3715)
- Knox Junior High School – Bobbie Jo Senzio (762-8711) and Angela Yetto (762-3726)
- Johnstown High School – Stephanie Ellsworth (762-4663) and Scott Hale (762-4661)
If you are a student who is the target of harassment, hazing or bullying, or if you know of someone who is a target, you are encouraged to speak with a teacher, principal or dignity act coordinator.
Medicaid Compliance Program
Medicaid Compliance Policy #5571, Adopted by the Board of Education May 20, 2010
Notice to Employees
The Greater Johnstown School District requires its employees to be aware of the District’s Medicaid Compliance Program. This awareness includes the responsibility to report suspected Medicaid compliance issues to the Medicaid Compliance Officer.
If you suspect Medicaid fraud, or a lack of compliance with the District’s Medicaid Compliance Policy and Program, as an employee of the district you are encouraged to report those issues. The District provides several options for such confidential reporting:
By telephone to:
518-762-4611, Extension 190
By E-mail to:
By Mail to:
GREATER JOHNSTOWN SCHOOL DISTRICT
1 SIR BILLS CIRCLE, SUITE 101
JOHNSTOWN, NY 12095
All information will be strictly confidential. You need not state your name. If you wish, however, you can provide contact information.
The Medicaid Compliance Officer will investigate each issue reported to the District. The result of all investigations will be reported to the Board of Education, and if appropriate, to the office of the Medicaid Inspector General.
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Applicants for admission and employment, students, parents, employees, sources of referral of applicants for admission and employment, and all unions or professional organizations holding collective bargaining or professional agreements with the Greater Johnstown School District are hereby notified that this District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the Greater Johnstown School District’s compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI, Title IX, The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), The Age Discrimination Act, or Section 504 is directed to contact: Superintendent of Schools, Sir Bills Circle, Suite 101, Johnstown NY 12095, PHONE: (518) 762-4611, who has been designated by the Greater Johnstown School District to coordinate the District’s efforts to comply with the regulations implementing Title VI, Title IX, the ADA, The Age Discrimination Act, and Section 504.
Under state law, the Greater Johnstown School District is required to notify you that pesticide products may be used in school buildings throughout the year. Parents, guardians and staff may request 48-hour advance written notification, including the date and place where the pesticide will be used, the name of the pesticide and its EPA registration number and who to contact for more information. To be placed on the list, call the GJSD Director of Facilities and Operations at (518) 762-4611.
Parents Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
The Greater Johnstown School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher, and principal data. In accordance with New York Education Law § 2-d, the District wishes to inform the school community of the following:
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record.
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review at: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/home.html, or by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed in writing to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234. Complaints may also be directed to the Chief Privacy Officer via email at: CPO@mail.nysed.gov.
Supplemental Information Regarding Third-Party Contractors
In the course of complying with its obligations under the law and providing educational services to District residents, the Greater Johnstown School District has entered into agreements with certain third-party contractors. Pursuant to such agreements, third-party contractors may have access to “student data” and/or “teacher or principal data,” as those terms are defined by law.
Each contract the District enters into with a third party contractor where the third party contractor receives student data or teacher or principal data will include the following information:
- The exclusive purposes for which the student data or teacher or principal data will be used;
- How the third party contractor will ensure that the subcontractors, persons or entities that the third party contractor will share the student data or teacher or principal data with, if any, will abide by data protection and security requirements;
- When the agreement expires and what happens to the student data or teacher or principal data upon expiration of the agreement;
- If and how a parent, student, eligible student, teacher or principal may challenge the accuracy of the student data or teacher or principal data that is collected; and
- Where the student data or teacher or principal data will be stored (described in such a manner as to protect data security), and the security protections taken to ensure such data will be protected, including whether such data will be encrypted.