Budget & School Taxes
2019-20 Budget Revote
The annual statewide school budget revote is Tuesday, June 18, 2019. Johnstown school district residents who are registered voters may cast their ballots from 11 a.m.-8 p.m. in the lobby of Johnstown High School’s Performing Arts Center.
- Three-year plan to move Johnstown toward sustainable budgets (published 6/13/19)
- Proposed Budget Document and Required Attachments (published 6/4/19)
- Dates set for Voter Registration and Public Budget Hearing; Absentee Ballot Applications Available (published 6/4/19)
- Johnstown residents to consider revised budget proposal on Tuesday, June 18 (published 5/31/19)
- Johnstown residents reject 2019-20 budget proposal (published 5/21/19)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Live and recorded videos from throughout the 2019-20 budget development process are available on the district’s Facebook page.
2018-19 School Budget
Please visit https://www.johnstownschools.org/budget-2018/ to learn more about the 2018-19 budget proposition adopted by voters on June 19, 2018.
When is the Annual Budget Vote & Board Election held?
Subject to few exceptions, school districts statewide are required by law to hold an annual budget vote and Board of Education Election on the third Tuesday in May. For 2020, that date is May 19.
Who is eligible to vote?
You may vote if you:
- are at least 18 years old;
- are a U.S. Citizen;
- have been a resident of the Greater Johnstown School District for the past 30 days; and
- are a registered voter (check here to see if you are currently registered).
How do I register to vote?
Residents may register to vote at the office of the Fulton County Board of Elections (or the Montgomery County Board of Elections if you live in the Town of Palatine), or online through the NYS Board of Elections (it may take up to six weeks for your online application to be processed by NYS). The Board of Education also adopts a resolution designating a specific day and time for voter registration at school for persons not registered with the county. For the June 18, 2019 revote, GJSD voter registration will take place 4-8 p.m. on Tuesday, June 11 in the Johnstown High School Auditorium Lobby. Please bring photo ID and proof of residency when registering.
Where do I vote?
All district residents vote at Johnstown High School.
The polling site will be open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
How do I apply for an absentee ballot?
Voters who are registered with the County Board of Elections as permanently disabled will automatically be mailed an absentee ballot. Any other qualified voter who will be unable to vote in person due to illness, physical disability, hospitalization, incarceration (unless incarcerated for conviction of a felony), travel outside the county of residence for business, studies or vacation must submit an absentee ballot application prior to receiving an absentee ballot.
The properly completed absentee ballot application must be received by the District Clerk at least 7 days before the election if the voter wants a ballot mailed to him/her; or the day before the election, if the ballot is to be given to the voter in person.
For an absentee ballot application, please visit our Forms Page, or contact the District Clerk at 518-762-4611 ext 3119.
When are absentee ballots due?
If you are provided with an official absentee ballot, it must be received in the office of the District Clerk not later than 5 p.m. on the day of the election, in an envelope that bears a signed “Statement of Absentee Voter,” in order to be counted by the election inspectors.