Arrival, Dismissal & Attendance
Morning Arrival at Warren Street
- All elementary buildings will open doors at 7:30 a.m. There is NO supervision for students prior to 7:30 a.m. Do not drop off students prior to 7:30 a.m.
- Students arriving by car, bike, or walking will enter through the main entrance between 7:30 – 7:45 a.m.
- Bus students will enter through the gymnasium entrance.
- Homeroom begins at 7:50 a.m.
- Announcements will begin at 7:55 a.m.
- Arrivals after 8:00 a.m. must be signed in at the front door main office and receive a late pass. Arriving to school on time will help your child be prepared for the day of learning ahead. Students need time in the morning to hang up their belongings, get their materials ready, and get settled into their day.
- When there is a two hour delay at the elementary school level, school starts at 10:00 a.m. and NO BREAKFAST IS SERVED.
Afternoon Dismissal at Warren Street
- Dismissal for students begins at 2:25 p.m. We do not permit students to be released without appropriate supervision.
- Please help us keep all students safe by making dismissal changes by 12:00 p.m. each day by phone or with a note. Late dismissal changes sometimes leads to a more chaotic dismissal. Do NOT ask us to make dismissal changes after 12:00 p.m. unless it is an emergency. Our goal is to dismiss all students safely each day. We appreciate your help! Please be sure the office, the transportation office, and your child are all aware of your dismissal preferences.
- Please do NOT enter the bus loop during dismissal time.
- Parents/guardians are not permitted to come down to classrooms during dismissal. If you have a scheduled appointment with your child’s teacher, please come into the office after dismissal and sign in.
- If you have a child at both Pleasant Avenue and Warren Street, please pick up your child at Pleasant Avenue before picking up your child at Warren Street.
Late Arrivals, Early Dismissals & Absences
New York State Education Law requires a written excuse, signed by a parent or guardian, be provided when a student is absent, tardy, or leaving school early. Please send an excuse to school with your child if he/she is tardy or needs to be dismissed early, and on the day your child returns to school after being absent.
Parents/guardians must sign-in/out students arriving late or leaving early.
Compulsory Education Law
According to the School Law of the State of New York, all children between the ages of 6 and the completion of the school year in which they turn 16 must be in attendance at school at all times during which the school is in session. The following conditions make it possible for a student to be legally absent:
- Illness of student.
- Severe storms or impassible roads.
- Death or severe illness in the immediate family. This does not provide for continual absences however.
- Religious observances.
- Required presence in court.
- Approved college visits.
- Military obligations.
- Medical or dental appointments. Whenever possible, medical and dental appointments should be scheduled outside of school time.
The reasons for absence listed below are considered by school authorities to be illegal absences within the meaning of the compulsory education law and will not be accepted.
- Family trips or vacations.
- Employment – including paper routes and baby sitting.
- Job hunting.
- Truancy from school.
- Hunting, fishing, sports events, concerts, tanning, etc.