Arrival, Dismissal & Attendance
Arrival Times for Pleasant Avenue
- All elementary buildings will open doors at 7:30 a.m.
- There is NO supervision for students prior to 7:30 a.m. Do not drop off students prior to 7:30 a.m.
- All students not riding a bus should arrive between 7:30 and 7:45 a.m.
- Announcements will begin at 8:00 a.m.
- Arrivals after 8:00 a.m. must be signed in at the front door main office and receive a late pass.
- Arriving at school on time will help your child be prepared for the day of learning ahead. Students need time in the morning to hang up their belongings, get their materials ready, and get settled into their day.
Arrival Procedures at Pleasant Avenue Elementary
- Students arriving by car, bike, or walking will enter through the Linden Ave entrance. Use one of the three spots designated with a cone to drop your child off. Staff members will be outside to open your car door (valet service) and escort your child to the door. Please do not get out of your car or drive past our staff members.
- Parking in the loop is prohibited.
- If you require more time to get your child ready to exit your car – you should park in one of the available spots.
- Bus students will enter through the main door.
- Students will go to breakfast in the cafeteria and/or the gym until 7:50 am.
- Breakfast will be available 7:30 am – 7:45 am.
Dismissal Procedures at Pleasant Avenue
- Pre-K dismissal is at 2:00 from the exterior cafeteria door. Students must be signed out.
- K-1 dismissal for students begins at 2:25 p.m. Due to the young age of Pleasant Avenue students, it is our practice to release students only to individuals on the pick-up list with proper ID, that are over the age of twelve. We do not permit students to be released without appropriate supervision.
- Car Loop – Families using the car loop will need to contact the office for a loop tag. While in the car loop, please stay off your cell phone and follow all directions. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE.
- Bus Students – Students will be escorted to their buses.
- Please help us keep all students safe by making dismissal changes by 12:00 p.m. each day by phone or with a note. Late dismissal changes sometimes lead to a more chaotic dismissal. Do NOT ask us to make dismissal changes after 12:00 p.m. unless it is an emergency. Our goal is to dismiss all students safely each day. We appreciate your help!
- Please be sure the office, the transportation office, and your child are all aware of your dismissal preferences.
- Please do NOT enter the bus loop during dismissal time.
- Please do not drive on the grass.
- Please utilize parking spaces in the parking lots.
- Students should not congregate on campus before or after school hours. If you have a child in both buildings – pick up your child at Pleasant Avenue before picking up your child at Warren Street.
Visitors to Pleasant Avenue
Parents/guardians are not permitted to come down to classrooms during dismissal. If you have a scheduled appointment with your child’s teacher, please come into the office after dismissal and sign in.
Compulsory Education Law
According to the School Law of the State of New York, all children between the ages of 6 and the completion of the school year in which they turn 16 must be in attendance at school at all times during which the school is in session. The following conditions make it possible for a student to be legally absent:
- Illness of student.
- Severe storms or impassible roads.
- Death or severe illness in the immediate family. This does not provide for continual absences however.
- Religious observances.
- Required presence in court.
- Approved college visits.
- Military obligations.
- Medical or dental appointments. Whenever possible, medical and dental appointments should be scheduled outside of school time.
The reasons for absence listed below are considered by school authorities to be illegal absences within the meaning of the compulsory education law and will not be accepted.
- Family trips or vacations.
- Employment – including paper routes and baby sitting.
- Job hunting.
- Truancy from school.
- Hunting, fishing, sports events, concerts, tanning, etc.