Knox Arrival, Dismissal & Attendance
Arrival Times for Knox Middle School
- Homeroom Begins at 7:45 a.m.
- There is NO supervision for students prior to 7:15 a.m. Do not drop off students prior to 7:15 a.m.
- Breakfast runs from 7:15-7:45 a.m.
- All students not riding a bus should arrive between 7:15 and 7:40 a.m.
- Announcements will begin at 7:45 a.m.Arrivals after 7:45 a.m. must be signed in at the front door main office and receive a late pass.
- Arriving at school on time will help your child be prepared for the day of learning ahead. Students need time in the morning to hang up their belongings, get their materials ready, and get settled into their day.
- 1st Ave. will be a one way street from 7:00-8:00 a.m. and 2:00-3:00 p.m. Please try to avoid using 1st Avenue during these times due to the buses.
Arrival Procedures at Knox Middle School
- Students arriving by car, bike, or walking will enter through the Perry Street entrance. Students should be dropped off on Perry Street on the same side as the school to avoid crossing the street.
- If a student needs to cross the street they should use the crossing guard on the corner of 1st Avenue and Perry Street.
- Bus students will enter through the 1st Ave. doors.
- Upon arrival, students will go to breakfast in the cafeteria and/or the gym until 7:40 a.m.
- Breakfast will be available 7:15 a.m. – 7:45 a.m.
Dismissal Procedures at Knox Middle School
- Dismissal is at 2:30 p.m. from the Perry Street doors.
- Students can be picked up on Perry Street on the same side as the school. Please avoid having your student cross the street without the crossing guard. (Corner of 1st Avenue and Perry Street)
- Bus Students – Students will be escorted to their buses on 1st Avenue. Students will wait in the gym until their bus arrives.
- Please help us keep all students safe by making dismissal changes by 12:00 p.m. each day by phone or with a note. Late dismissal changes sometimes lead to a more chaotic dismissal. Do NOT ask us to make dismissal changes after 12:00 p.m. unless it is an emergency. Our goal is to dismiss all students safely each day. We appreciate your help!
- Please be sure the office, the transportation office, and your child are all aware of your dismissal preferences.
1st Ave. will be a one way street from 7:00-8:00 a.m. and 2:00-3:00 p.m. Please try to avoid using 1st Ave. during these times due to the buses.
- Students should not congregate on campus before or after school hours.
Visitors to Knox
Parents/guardians are not permitted to come down to classrooms during dismissal. If you have a scheduled appointment with your child’s teacher, please come into the Main Office after dismissal and sign in.
There is a positive correlation between regular attendance at school and academic success. The business world demands that employees be at work daily and on time. Excessive absenteeism and/or lateness to work often results in the loss of jobs. Our school has an obligation to expect regular attendance and punctuality from our students in school and class. Students have a responsibility to come to school regularly and to be on time to school and to all their classes. Parents have a responsibility to see that their children meet these requirements.
Compulsory Education Law
According to the School Law of the State of New York, all children between the ages of 6 and the completion of the school year in which they turn 16 must be in attendance at school at all times during which the school is in session. The following conditions make it possible for a student to be legally absent:
- Illness of student.
- Severe storms or impassible roads.
- Death or severe illness in the immediate family. This does not provide for continual absences however.
- Religious observances.
- Required presence in court.
- Approved college visits.
- Military obligations.
- Medical or dental appointments.
Whenever possible, medical and dental appointments are to be scheduled outside of school time. Students having such appointments on a regular basis should schedule them so as to avoid missing the same class each time.
The reasons for absence listed below are considered by school authorities to be illegal absences within the meaning of the compulsory education law and will not be accepted.
- Family trips or vacations.
- Employment – including paper routes and baby sitting.
- Job hunting.
- Truancy from school.
- Hunting, fishing, sports events, concerts, tanning, etc.