First grade classes visited the Johnstown Fire Department this week, where they had an opportunity to see fire fighting equipment up close and learn lessons about fire safety.
More than 125 students and family members attended Pleasant’s first Accelerated Reader Night of the school year on October 16. The students enjoyed reading books with their families, taking AR tests in the computer lab, and choosing books of their very own at the Scholastic Book Fair.
The National Fire Protection Association’s theme for Fire Prevention Week Oct. 7-13, 2018 is “Look. Listen. Learn. Be Aware – fire can happen anywhere.”
As part of Fire Prevention Week activities, the Fire Safety Truck visited Pleasant Avenue Elementary to share valuable fire safety lessons. Students are encouraged to look for places a fire could start, listen for the sound of the smoke alarm, and learn two ways to get out of every room.
Thursday, November 1, 2018
5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
We are welcoming all Johnstown community members, families and students to come play together, as well as see our completed project at Johnstown High School.
Activities to be offered include swimming, basketball, obstacle course, face painting, crafts, video games, board games, and more…
The Johnstown Elementary PTA is selling wreaths from Goderie’s Tree Farm. The cost is $18 for a 12″ wreath and $25 for a 16″ wreath.
Please return an order form with payment to the main office at your child’s school by November 1, 2018. Checks should be made out to “JEPTA”.
Pick up will be at Glebe Street Elementary on November 29th from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Thank you for your support!
We have many exciting things coming up this month
including field trips to the Firehouse, The Color-A-Thon (10/13), Picture Day, AR Night (10/16), the Scholastic Book Fair, Spooktacular BINGO, and the Halloween Parade. The most exciting event this month is our Accelerated Reader Program kick off.
It is important for all students to read daily, so that it becomes a habit and students establish a love for reading. Our Accelerated Reader program encourages students to read books and respond to questions. As children complete books and questions they build up points to earn incentives. If our school reaches 2500 points we will have a celebratory carnival in June.
I am very proud of all of our students! Keep up the great work at Pleasant Avenue.
Arrival & Dismissal
- Attendance is taken and instruction begins each morning promptly at 9:00 a.m. It is very important that your child is on time, attends school everyday, is well rested, and has a positive attitude. These things will contribute to the success of your child this year.
- Students are encouraged to arrive to school after 8:30 a.m.
- Our dismissal procedure begins at 3:10 p.m.
Absences & Late Arrivals
- New York State Education Law requires parents to provide a WRITTEN excuse, signed by a parent/guardian, when a student is absent, tardy, or leaving school early.
- Please send an excuse to school with your child if he/she needs to be dismissed early, is tardy, or on the day your child returns to school after being absent.
- Please be sure to call the school if your child is going to be absent. You may leave a voicemail if you call before school hours. Also, parents/guardians must sign in/out when arriving late or leaving early.
- If you are picking your child up, rather than them taking the bus, please let us know before 1:00 p.m. Any calls after 1:00 p.m. will be denied.
A heartfelt thank you to everyone who has donated to the Pleasant Avenue Clothes Closet. Your generosity is so appreciated!
Students who completed Summer Activity Packet!!
Caleb Boles, Amelia Geiger, Carmine Rocco, Amelia Cotter, Asher Hock, Lilly Youker, Madeline Friers, Ethan Cornell, Melanie Christman, Colten Laird, Hunter Sayles, Jaxon Decker, Emma Wheeler, Thomas Bryson, Juliette Badillo, Madison Kortz, David Hanrahan, Jacqueline LaRue, Adalyn Lewis, Owen Heroth, Julien Hartlieb, Morgan Hart, Gavyn Martish, Brynn Gavin, Jaidyn Risley, Mary-Kate Viscosi, Charlie Sinner, Emma Walters, and Riley Francisco.
Open House Basket Winners
The winners for the open house baskets are Brynn H. and Kahlan J.!
3 for Me Winners
The 3 for Me Winners are: Paxton Stock, Brooke Kromschroeder, Cailee Caputo, Riley Francisco, Jaidyn Risley, Avery Hammond, Thomas Bryson, Carmine Rocco, Ellijah Kelly, Tatum Owens, Finn Ackerbauer, Caleb Boles, and Brennan Hart.
We are looking for volunteers to read AR books and help with AR tests on Wednesday mornings 8:15-9am, email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- Oct. 3 – JEPTA@ Warren, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 5 – Superintendent’s Conference Day, NO SCHOOL
- Oct. 8 – Columbus Day, NO SCHOOL
- Oct. 9 – Apparel Sale Ends
- Oct. 10 – Picture Day (Kindergarten & 1st)
- Oct. 11 – Picture Day (Pre-K)
- Oct. 12 – Reminder: Color Run is tomorrow
- Oct. 15 – Book Fair 3:20 – 4:00 p.m.
- Oct. 16 – Book Fair, AR Night 6 – 7 p.m.
- Oct. 17 – Book Fair 8:15-9:00 a.m.
- Oct. 18 – Book Fair 3:20 – 4:00 p.m.
- Oct. 19 – Book Fair 8:15 – 9:00 a.m.
- Oct. 29 – Spooktacular BINGO at Glebe, 6 – 7:15 p.m.
- Oct. 31 – Halloween Parade, 1:30 p.m.
Johnstown Elementary PTA Presents…
October 29th 6-7:15 p.m.
@ Glebe Street Elementary School
All Johnstown elementary students are welcome!
*Students are welcome to wear their Halloween costumes*
*Trick or Treat on your way to the gym (beginning at 6 p.m.)*
*Enjoy some treats*
*BINGO begins at 6:30*
In order to make this a great event we are asking for the following donations:
Please send in with your child or drop off to the main office at your child’s school by 10/26, thank you!
- Glebe – cider
- Warren – donuts
- PA – bagged candy
The Utica Zoomobile visited Pleasant Avenue today, offering students the opportunity to learn about millipedes, snakes, ferrets, and tortoises. The children were especially excited to be able to pet the ferret.
After the presentation the students wrote about, and drew a picture of, their favorite animal. These works will be on display at our Accelerated Reader Night, scheduled for 6 – 7 p.m. on October 16.