Dear Knox Band & Chorus Families,
Every year the month of March is dedicated as “Music In Our Schools Month.” During this time music education becomes the focus of schools across the nation. It began as a statewide celebration in 1973, and has grown to encompass a day, week, and in 1985 it became an entire month. The Greater Johnstown School District Music Department is holding two events to observe Music In Our Schools Month!
First, the Knox bands and choruses will perform for the All-City Concert on Wednesday, March 6th (details are beneath this letter).
The second event is the “Afternoon of Music” on Thursday, March 7th which will take place at the High School. There, all band and chorus students will showcase the concert selections for one another.
The Knox “Afternoon of Music” schedule is:
- 12:30 – Depart Knox for High School
- 1:00 – Concert recreation
- 2:30 – Dismissal from High School.
Students will dismiss from the High School this day at 2:30. There will not be return transportation to Knox.
We are very excited to take part in this celebration! For more information about Music In Our Schools Month please visit www.nafme.org. Both concerts will count toward the performance portion of the third quarter average. If you have questions or concerns please feel free to contact us.
GJSD All-City Concert Details
Information for families & students
Who: 7th & 8th Grade Band & Chorus Members (& other district ensembles)
What: All City Concert
When: Wednesday, March 6th at 7:00 p.m.
Where: Johnstown High School Performing Arts Center
Why: March is Music in Our Schools Month – It’s time to celebrate!
Details for Musicians
- Ladies: dress pants/skirt with blouse or dress
- Gentlemen: dress pants with collared shirt & tie
- Please no jeans or sneakers if possible.
- Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
- Band: Please meet at 6:40 in the JHS GYM
- Chorus: Please meet at 6:40 in the JHS Large Cafeteria