Dear Johnstown Junior-Senior High School Families,
Welcome back to the 2020-21 school year. I hope that you were able to find some relaxing time this summer! Administration, teachers, and staff have worked very hard to prepare for the upcoming school year. This year is going to look different, but I am thrilled to open the doors on Monday, September 14th.
The school day starts at 7:45AM, but this year the doors will open for students at 7:30AM. Students will go through a daily health screening when arriving at school and will then be asked to report directly to breakfast or their assigned homeroom. Student entrances will be:
- 7th & 8th grade walkers, bikers and students dropped off will enter through the doors in the A-wing near room A105 in the circle off of Pearl St.
- 9th & 10th grade walkers, bikers and students dropped off will enter through the main lobby doors in the front circle off of Pearl St.
- 11th & 12th grade walkers, bikers, drivers and students dropped off will enter through the Johnstown Performing Arts Center doors in the parking lot off of Pearl St.
- Bus students will enter through the doors off of the bus loop on Wright Drive.
To start the school year, students will not be using their lockers and must carry their belongings with them. Although this can be an inconvenience, it is important that we do not allow congregating in the hallways. Students should pack lightly. The last assigned class of the day ends at 2:02 PM with enrichment following directly after. To reduce congestion during dismissal, we will have a staggered dismissal from 2:05 to 2:30. Staggered dismissal times will be announced once they are finalized. Students must leave school premises at their dismissal time. More guidance will follow regarding athletics and other potential after school activities.
The Career and Technical Center will have its first day of classes on September 14th. Students attending the Career and Technical Center will be provided transportation ONLY on their in-person learning days. The Career and Technical Center will provide more guidance on the type of instruction available on virtual days.
Schedules for students 7-12 will be available on the Schooltool portal on September 4th. Any concerns with schedules should be addressed through email to a school counselor (7th & 8th-Mrs. Yetto, 9th-12th A-K-Mr. Blacha and L-Z Mrs. LaCoppola). If you are unable to access it, please contact the school. Schedules will also be available on the first day of classes. Any student who is receiving lessons virtually CANNOT record and disseminate it. Those students who have opted into the fully remote model will be provided a time to pick-up required learning materials.
All students will be provided a Chromebook. These will be distributed on September 9th and September 10th at JJSHS from 8:30AM-11:00AM and 12:00PM-2:00PM. The designated pickup areas will be:
- 7th & 8th grade at the A-wing near room A105 in the circle off of Pearl St.
- 9th & 10th grade near the main lobby doors in the front circle off of Pearl St.
- 11th & 12th grade near the Johnstown Performing Arts Center doors by the circle off of Wright Drive.
Understanding school expectations and policies is important for a successful experience at JJSHS. Important information such as attendance policy and academic eligibility can be found on www.johnstownschools.org. Other critical information can be found there as well such as the Dignity for All Students Act, the Code of Conduct and Title IX. Please become familiar with the district website.
In closing, I am very excited to get the school year started. I look forward to seeing all of you whether it is in person or virtually. An Open House date has yet to be determined, but if you have any concerns prior to that, feel free to contact me or the faculty at any time.
Scott M. Hale