!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IMPORTANT – SAVE THIS BULLETIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- THURSDAY, JUNE 21, 7:00 P.M. – AWARDS ASSEMBLY – JHS Auditorium
- Awards and prizes not given out at the graduation exercises.
- All prizewinners should WRITE A NOTE OF THANKS to the prize donor. (Donor or alternate will be indicated in/on envelope.)
- FRIDAY, JUNE 22, 1:00 P.M. – REHEARSAL – JHS Auditorium
- NOTE: MANDATORY ATTENDANCE ALL GRADUATING SENIORS MUST ATTEND
- You will receive your report card, cap and gown, and graduation tickets at this time.
- Each senior will receive four (4) tickets for admission to the commencement ceremony. In case of inclement weather, exercises will be held in the JHS auditorium. Only those with a ticket will be admitted. (See below *)
- FRIDAY, JUNE 22, 6:00 P.M. – BACCALAUREATE SERVICE – Johnstown Reformed Church
351 North Perry Street, Johnstown, NY 12095
- THIS IS NOT A MANDATORY ACTIVITY. The service is sponsored by the Council of Churches and attendance by graduates, parents, and friends is strictly VOLUNTARY. Graduates should report to church at 5:30 p.m. dressed appropriately under your cap & gown.
- SATURDAY, JUNE 23 – COMMENCEMENT DAY
- 9:00 A.M. – Report to the Knox gym, with cap & gown, for exercises on Knox Field. DO NOT ALTER CAP AND GOWN. Remember to wear light clothing, as it may be warm. If a change is to be made to the JHS auditorium, notice will be given to the radio stations (WENT, WIZR, WGY) by 8:00 A.M. If the ceremony must be moved inside, students should report to the large cafeteria at JHS.
- 10:00 A.M. – COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES – Knox Field – Open to the Public Upon Mr. Hale’s declaration, “You are now a graduate of Johnstown High School”, you should FLIP YOUR TASSEL ON YOUR CAP FROM THE RIGHT TO THE LEFT SIDE. After Graduation, remove the tassel from the cap. It is yours. Caps and gowns are handed in at the Knox gym IMMEDIATELY after commencement or small café if at Johnstown High School. When you hand in your cap and gown, you will receive your official diploma.
*NOTE: Graduation announcements are NOT tickets of admission. The tickets that were handed out at rehearsal must be used for admission. If the ceremony is inside, the doors will be open to the public (people without tickets) at 9:45 a.m. until the balance of the seats is filled.
STATEMENT OF GRADUATION GUIDELINES
WITH RESPECT TO DRESS:
- Boys should wear long pants with a dress shirt.
- Girls should wear a dress, skirt and blouse or dress pants.
- Everyone must wear shoes.
- Girls – it is suggested you do not wear heels for the commencement ceremony if it is held on Knox field. This rule is for the protection of the track and because high heels will sink in and make it difficult for you to walk on the grass.
- Cap and gown is required. Please open package prior to ceremony. Gowns DO NOT come pressed.
- Academic wear must not be altered including decorating of caps.
WITH RESPECT TO BEHAVIOR:
- There will be no offensive or vulgar language permitted.
- There will be no individual or group display fireworks. Fireworks are illegal and they jeopardize the safety of all.
- Any student suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs will NOT be admitted to the activities.
- The tossing of caps in the air will NOT be permitted. This poses a serious threat of injury and we must protect the safety and welfare of all graduates. There have been instances of students in area schools receiving serious eye injuries as a result of throwing caps.
WITH RESPECT TO ENFORCEMENT:
- Participation in graduation ceremonies is a privilege, not a right. Any student who refuses to abide by these guidelines will not be allowed the privilege of participating in the ceremonies and will be removed from them, if necessary. Graduation from Johnstown High School should be a very special and meaningful event for all participants.
IT IS HOPED THAT THE ABOVE GUIDELINES WILL ENSURE THAT THE GRADUATION CEREMONY WILL BE A DIGNIFIED AND MEMORABLE EVENT.