Class of 2022 Commencement Activities
COMMENCEMENT ACTIVITIES – CLASS OF 2022
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IMPORTANT – SAVE THIS BULLETIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FRIDAY, JUNE 17 GRADUATION WALK
- 8:45 A.M. Students should sign up through guidance. We will meet at Johnstown High School at 8:45 and parade through the elementary schools beginning at 9:00. Wheelerville students will meet at Wheelerville at 10:45. THIS IS NOT A MANDATORY ACTIVITY.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22 AWARDS ASSEMBLY- GRADES 9-12
- 7:30 P.M. All prize winners should WRITE A NOTE OF THANKS to the prize donor. (Donor or alternate will be indicated in/on the envelope.) Award winners will be notified and invited prior to the assembly.
THURSDAY, JUNE 23 BACCALAUREATE SERVICE
- 6:00 p.m. St. John’s Episcopal Church, 1 North Market Street, Johnstown, NY 12095
- THIS IS NOT A MANDATORY ACTIVITY. The service is sponsored by the Council of Churches and attendance by graduates, parents, and friends are strictly VOLUNTARY. Graduates should report to church at 5:30 p.m. dressed appropriately under your cap & gown.
FRIDAY, JUNE 24 REHEARSAL – KNOX FIELD
- 10:00 A.M. NOTE: MANDATORY ATTENDANCE ALL GRADUATING SENIORS MUST ATTEND
- You will receive your cap, gown, and tassel, and your graduation tickets at this time. Each senior will receive four (4) tickets for admission to the commencement to be used if held indoors. In case of inclement weather, rehearsal will be held in the JHS auditorium.
FRIDAY, JUNE 24 Pop-Pop’s Ice Cream Truck
- 12:00 Pop-Pop’s Ice Cream Truck will be at Knox Field immediately following graduation rehearsal.
FRIDAY, JUNE 24 COMMENCEMENT (RAIN DATE-June 25 at 10:00 A.M.)
- 6:00 P.M. Report to Knox field, with cap and gown, for exercises on Knox field.
- DO NOT ALTER CAP AND GOWN. Remember to wear light clothing, as it may be warm. If a change is to be made regarding a rain date, notice will be given to the radio stations (WENT, WIZR, WGY), posted on the school website and Parent Square by 4:00 p.m.
- 7:00 P.M. COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES – Knox Field
- Upon Mr. Hale’s declaration, “You are now a graduate of Johnstown High School”, you should FLIP YOUR TASSEL ON YOUR CAP FROM THE RIGHT TO THE LEFT SIDE.
*NOTE: Graduation announcements are NOT tickets of admission.
The tickets handed out at rehearsal must be used for admission.
STATEMENT OF GRADUATION GUIDELINES
WITH RESPECT TO DRESS:
- Graduates should wear formal attire under their cap and gown. .
- Everyone must wear shoes.
- It is suggested you do not wear heels for the commencement ceremony if it is held on Knox field. This rule is for the protection of the track and because high heels will sink in and make it difficult for you to walk on the grass.
- Cap and gown is required. Please open the package prior to the ceremony. Gowns DO NOT come pressed.
- Academic wear must not be altered – including decorating of caps.
WITH RESPECT TO BEHAVIOR:
- There will be no offensive or vulgar language permitted.
- There will be no individual display of fireworks. There will be a professional fireworks display after the ceremony.
- Any student suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs will NOT be admitted to the activities.
- The tossing of caps in the air will NOT be permitted. This poses a serious threat of injury and we must protect the safety and welfare of all graduates. There have been instances of students in area schools receiving serious eye injuries as a result of throwing caps.
WITH RESPECT TO ENFORCEMENT:
- Participation in graduation ceremonies is a privilege, not a right. Any student who refuses to abide by these guidelines will not be allowed the privilege of participating in the ceremonies and will be removed from them, if necessary. Graduation from Johnstown High School should be a very special and meaningful event for all participants.
IT IS HOPED THAT THE ABOVE GUIDELINES WILL ENSURE THAT THE GRADUATION
CEREMONY WILL BE A DIGNIFIED AND MEMORABLE EVENT.