Knox Athletic Field
Suitable for a wide variety of athletic events, Johnstown’s venerable Knox Athletic Field, an interscholastic stadium featuring lights and a field turf surface, is located at the Knox Junior High complex on South Perry Street.
The field was developed following the Board of Education’s August 20, 1928 acceptance of the generous offer by local businesswoman Mrs. Rose M. Knox, owner of the Knox Gelatin Company, to bear the expense to construct and equip an athletic field in the City of Johnstown, “to be thereafter known as Knox Athletic Field and to be forever maintained and supervised by the Board of Education.” According to official Board of Education minutes, a Dedication Ceremony for the Knox Athletic Field was held on October 1, 1930, and the services of the first caretaker for the field commenced in full on November 10, 1930.
The site of many NYS Sectionals contests, Knox Field is home to Johnstown’s Sir Bills Football, Lady Bills Field Hockey, Sir Bills & Lady Bills Lacrosse, Sir Bills and Lady Bills Track & Field, Marching Bills Field Band, and Johnstown Winterguard. It also serves as the home field for the semi-pro Colonials football team, is used by the community’s Little League Football team, is the site of the annual Johnstown elementary track & field day, and the Purple & Gold Get Out & Play Day. Students graduating from Johnstown High School have enjoyed the tradition of holding commencement ceremonies on Knox Field since 1959, weather permitting.
Remaining in continuous use by Johnstown schools since its inception more than 80 years ago, Knox Field was most recently updated as part of a capital project approved by district residents in 2005. In addition to the field and surrounding track pictured here, the Knox complex boasts a bridle walking path, a playground area and tennis courts that are open for use by the community. It also hosts the School Museum, which occupies the original field house facing Glebe Street.
Photos courtesy of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Connelie.