In addition to the content shared below, a PDF version of the April 2019 Knox News is available to print using the free Adobe Acrobat program.
Good Luck Energetic Engineers!
Congratulations to Garrett Bobowski, Maddy Connelie, Alex DeMagistris, Tyler Hutchison, DJ Long, Trey Naselli & Molly Sweeney who finished 2nd at the Odyssey of the Mind State competition and will now be advancing to the World Finals in Michigan.
- April 2&3-NYS ELA State Test
- April 5-Johnstown vs. Gloversville Faculty Basketball Game-6:30pm at JHS
- April 11-Knox PTSA-6:00pm
- April 12-Report Cards Distributed
- April 18-Half Day for Students– Students Dismissed at 11:00am
- April 19-26-Spring Break-No School
- April 29-School Resumes
- May 2&3- NYS Math Test
- May 10-*May Dance
- Students must be in good academic standing in order to attend the dance. If the student is on academic probation, they must receive all satisfactory grades on their weekly report in order to attend the dance. Students must also be in good behavioral standing.
- May 12-Mother’s Day
- May 16-Knox PTSA-6:00pm
- May 17-QTR. 4 Progress Reports Distributed
- May 21-Half Day for Students-Students Dismissed at 11:00am
- May 27-Memorial Day Observed-NO SCHOOL
- May 30-Knox Spring Concert
Order Your Yearbook!
Knox Yearbooks are on sale now through April 18th! Cost is $10, credit or check only. Online orders only: YBPAY.LIFETOUCH.COM. Yearbook ID Code: 12286219. School: Knox Junior High School.
Cupcake Wars is Coming!
- Semifinals 2:30 – 3:30, Monday, April 8th & Wednesday, April 10th
- Finale 2:20 – 2:50, Monday, April 15th
Congratulations “Student of the Week” Winners!
- 3/1/19 – Shylee Port, nominated by Mrs. Stock
- 3/8/19 – Marcus Wilson, nominated by Mr. Satterlee
- 3/15/19 – Jack Miller, nominated by Miss Cordts
- 3/22/19 – Mason Rathbun, nominated by Mr. Greco
- 3/29/19 – Abby Chest, nominated by Mrs. Armer
All Music, All People – Music in Our Schools Month
Every year the month of March is dedicated as “Music In Our Schools Month” by the National Association for Music Education. During this time music education becomes the focus of schools across the nation. It began as a statewide celebration in 1973, and has grown to encompass a day, week, and in 1985 it became an entire month. The Greater Johnstown School District Music Department held 2 events to observe Music In Our Schools Month!
First, the Knox bands and choruses performed for the All-City Concert on Wednesday, March 6th. This concert featured performing groups from Warren Street, Knox, and JHS. There, Knox performances included: 7th Grade Band- The Incredibles, 7th Grade Chorus- Breaking Free, 8th Grade Band- The Avengers, and 8th Grade Chorus- Dance Evolution.
The second event was the Afternoon of Music. On Thursday, March 7th, 138 Knox band and chorus students traveled to JHS to perform their concert pieces for the other GJSD musicians. It was a fun opportunity for the groups to showcase their talents for each other. During this time Knox students were able to reflect as they listened to the elementary students, and get an idea of where they’re heading as they checked out the JHS ensembles.
We were very excited to take part in this celebration! For more information about Music In Our Schools Month please visit www.nafme.org.
GJSD Volleyball Tournament
Knox Staff , aka New Kids on the Block, competed in the GJSD Volleyball Tournament! They had a great time while helping JHS Student Council raise some money.
Jay A. DeTraglia, Director and Michael DiMezza, Coordinator of HFM Career and Technical Education came to Knox to explain the opportunities currently available to the students of Johnstown. When JHS students are juniors and seniors the following pathways are an option for them:
Auto Body Repair, Auto Technology, Careers in Education, Cybersecurity & Computer Technology, Construction Technology, Cosmetology, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Digital Multimedia, Engineering Technology, Environmental Conservation, Foundations of Food Services, Medical Assisting, New Visions Health Careers, Skilled Trades: Electrical, HVAC, and Plumbing, and Veterinary and Animal Science.
Did you know about our March Madness Contest at Knox?
Knox March Attendance Madness
The Rules: (Started the week of March 4th)
- Each Check In will choose a team name
- Each round will last one week
- Team with the highest attendance percentage wins
- Being tardy counts against your team
- Attendance will reset at the beginning of each week
- There will be 4 rounds
- All teams that lost round one will be placed in the Second Chance Bracket. The team in this bracket with the best attendance in week 2 will be put back in the tournament
- Weekly- Winning Grade will be able to leave early on Fridays (No Check Out)
- Monthly-Winning Grade will have a cell phone lunch period while being served by available staff
March Attendance Madness Grand Prize
- The winning team/Check In will be able to dress Mr. Kraemer for a day
Special Friday Afternoon Announcements
During March Madness, Friday afternoon announcements have included special announcers such as our PE teachers. Coach Jennings and Coach McCumber sang the theme song from “SpongeBob SquarePants.”