his graduation from JHS, Peter S. Wilson served in the
U.S. Army from 1950-1953, achieving the rank of sergeant
before receiving an honorable discharge. In 1962 he
began a term as Johnstown’s Alderman-at-Large and in
June of 1963 was appointed Acting Mayor of the City of
Johnstown. In January of 1964 he was sworn in as
Johnstown’s elected mayor, continuing to serve the
community in that position until 1975. During that time,
he worked with the Common Council to install water
meters and wells to alleviate a water shortage; helped
to acquire the vacant North Perry Street School to build
the central fire station; supported the formation of
J.A.V.A.C. and the Senior Citizens’ Club; and assisted
in creating the Gloversville and Johnstown Wastewater
and Treatment Facilities. He also helped to create the
Sir William Johnson Memorial Park on West Main Street,
without federal money or state aid. That project was
recognized in the National Chamber of Commerce Magazine.
In recognition of his service to the community, Mr.
Wilson received the Fulton County Republican Club
Charles Hough award in 1977, the Senior Citizens award
in 1981, the Private Industry Council award in 1986, the
Fulton County Teachers’ Credit Union award in 1990, and
the Liberty Bell Award in 1992.
A civic leader, Mr. Wilson served on the board of
directors of Johnstown Hospital, Nathan Littauer
Hospital, Fulton County Economic Development Corp.,
Ferndale Cemetery and the Johnstown Public Library; was
President of the Fulton County Republican Club, a
charter member of the Johnstown Lions’ Club and the St.
Patrick’s Church Finance Committee as well as First
Parish Council President.